Opened 5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago

Last modified 5 weeks ago

#587 closed request (wontfix)

No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID

Reported by: evyncke@… Owned by: bzeeb+ietf@…
Priority: minor Milestone: ietf-086
Component: network Keywords: IPv6 eduroam
Cc: My Current Location: Caribean 2
My MAC Address: 14:10:9f:d8:b0:63 My OS: Mac OS/X

Description

As usual, I am opening the very same ticket as previous meeting ;-)

On eduroam SSID (BSSID is 3C:CE:73:B6:8C:C0), I do not receive any IPv6 Router Advertisement at all, neither solicited nor unsolicited.

# rtsol -d en0
checking if en0 is ready...
en0 is ready
send RS on en0, whose state is 2
09:51:09.012992 IP6 (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 16) fe80::1610:9fff:fed8:b063 > ff02::2: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router solicitation, length 16

source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 14:10:9f:d8:b0:63

send RS on en0, whose state is 2
09:51:13.013838 IP6 (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 16) fe80::1610:9fff:fed8:b063 > ff02::2: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router solicitation, length 16

source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 14:10:9f:d8:b0:63

send RS on en0, whose state is 2
09:51:17.014668 IP6 (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 16) fe80::1610:9fff:fed8:b063 > ff02::2: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router solicitation, length 16

source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 14:10:9f:d8:b0:63

No answer after sending 3 RSs

ping6 -Ien0 ff02::1%en0
PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) fe80::1610:9fff:fed8:b063%en0 --> ff02::1%en0
16 bytes from fe80::8:1%en0, icmp_seq=0 hlim=64 time=1.424 ms
16 bytes from fe80::8:3%en0, icmp_seq=0 hlim=64 time=1.602 ms

So there are probably two routers on this WLAN ;-)

Change history (9)

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by nkukich@…

Owner: changed from nkukich@… to bzeeb+ietf@…
Status: newassigned

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by bzeeb+ietf@…

So this stays interesting. It's different APs this time and we have not seen any IPv6 issues with them. ND6 just works perfectly fine even for me this time. I just switched to eduroam and got:

bz% ndp -rn
fe80::8:2%en0 if=en0, flags=O, pref=medium, expire=29m51s
fe80::8:3%en0 if=en0, flags=O, pref=medium, expire=29m50s
fe80::8:1%en0 if=en0, flags=OT, pref=medium, expire=29m50s

And tcpdump confirms that I see them from both routers:

15:19:21.297190 5c:5e:ab:d5:60:78 > 33:33:00:00:00:01, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 110: (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 56) fe80::1:1 > ff02::1: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router advertisement, length 56

hop limit 64, Flags [other stateful], pref medium, router lifetime 1800s, reachable time 0s, retrans time 0s

source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 00:00:5e:00:02:01

0x0000: 0000 5e00 0201

prefix info option (3), length 32 (4): 2001:df8::/64, Flags [onlink, auto], valid time 2592000s, pref. time 604800s

0x0000: 40c0 0027 8d00 0009 3a80 0000 0000 2001
0x0010: 0df8 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

15:19:21.714663 5c:5e:ab:00:79:78 > 33:33:00:00:00:01, ethertype IPv6 (0x86dd), length 110: (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 56) fe80::1:3 > ff02::1: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router advertisement, length 56

hop limit 64, Flags [other stateful], pref medium, router lifetime 1800s, reachable time 0s, retrans time 0s

source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 5c:5e:ab:00:79:78

0x0000: 5c5e ab00 7978

prefix info option (3), length 32 (4): 2001:df8::/64, Flags [onlink, auto], valid time 2592000s, pref. time 604800s

0x0000: 40c0 0027 8d00 0009 3a80 0000 0000 2001
0x0010: 0df8 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

Can you remind me of your eduroam login. Does eduroam work fine for you otherwise?

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by evyncke@…

Working now in Caribbean 3 with BSSID 00:27:0D:6A:EA:C0

It looks like it takes time to start IPv6 on eduroam SSID, lack of mcast traffic?

The ping6 ff02::1 has now more than 20 replies compared to this morning

-éric
> -----Original Message-----
> From: IETF Meeting/NOC [mailto:tickets@meeting.ietf.org]
> Sent: lundi 11 mars 2013 11:21
> To: Eric Vyncke (evyncke); bzeeb+ietf@zabbadoz.net; nkukich@verilan.com
> Subject: Re: [IETF Meeting/NOC] #587: No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID
> 
> #587: No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID
> ------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+-
>       Reporter:  evyncke@…          |                Owner:  bzeeb+ietf@…
>           Type:  request            |               Status:  assigned
>       Priority:  minor              |            Milestone:  ietf-86
>      Component:  network            |           Resolution:
>       Keywords:  IPv6 eduroam       |  My Current Location:  Caribean 2
> My MAC  Address:                    |                My OS:  Mac OS/X
>   14:10:9f:d8:b0:63                 |
> ------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+-
> 
> Comment (by bzeeb+ietf@…):
> 
>  So this stays interesting.  It's different APs this time and we have not
> seen any IPv6 issues with them.  ND6 just works perfectly fine even for me
> this time.  I just switched to eduroam and got:
> 
>  bz% ndp -rn
>  fe80::8:2%en0 if=en0, flags=O, pref=medium, expire=29m51s
>  fe80::8:3%en0 if=en0, flags=O, pref=medium, expire=29m50s
>  fe80::8:1%en0 if=en0, flags=OT, pref=medium, expire=29m50s
> 
>  And tcpdump confirms that I see them from both routers:
> 
>  15:19:21.297190 5c:5e:ab:d5:60:78 > 33:33:00:00:00:01, ethertype IPv6
> (0x86dd), length 110: (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length:
>  56) fe80::1:1 > ff02::1: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router advertisement,
> length 56
>          hop limit 64, Flags [other stateful], pref medium, router lifetime
> 1800s, reachable time 0s, retrans time 0s
>            source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 00:00:5e:00:02:01
>              0x0000:  0000 5e00 0201
>            prefix info option (3), length 32 (4): 2001:df8::/64, Flags
> [onlink, auto], valid time 2592000s, pref. time 604800s
>              0x0000:  40c0 0027 8d00 0009 3a80 0000 0000 2001
>              0x0010:  0df8 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
>  15:19:21.714663 5c:5e:ab:00:79:78 > 33:33:00:00:00:01, ethertype IPv6
> (0x86dd), length 110: (hlim 255, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length:
>  56) fe80::1:3 > ff02::1: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, router advertisement,
> length 56
>          hop limit 64, Flags [other stateful], pref medium, router lifetime
> 1800s, reachable time 0s, retrans time 0s
>            source link-address option (1), length 8 (1): 5c:5e:ab:00:79:78
>              0x0000:  5c5e ab00 7978
>            prefix info option (3), length 32 (4): 2001:df8::/64, Flags
> [onlink, auto], valid time 2592000s, pref. time 604800s
>              0x0000:  40c0 0027 8d00 0009 3a80 0000 0000 2001
>              0x0010:  0df8 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
> 
> 
>  Can you remind me of your eduroam login.  Does eduroam work fine for you
> otherwise?
> 
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.meeting.ietf.org/ticket/587#comment:2>
> IETF Meeting/NOC <http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org> IETF Meeting - NOC pages

comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by bzeeb+ietf@…

Do you get replies on ff02::2?

comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by evyncke@…

Only two replies ::8:1 and ::8:3

> -----Original Message-----
> From: IETF Meeting/NOC [mailto:tickets@meeting.ietf.org]
> Sent: lundi 11 mars 2013 13:44
> To: Eric Vyncke (evyncke); bzeeb+ietf@zabbadoz.net; nkukich@verilan.com
> Subject: Re: [IETF Meeting/NOC] #587: No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID
> 
> #587: No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID
> ------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+-
>       Reporter:  evyncke@…          |                Owner:  bzeeb+ietf@…
>           Type:  request            |               Status:  assigned
>       Priority:  minor              |            Milestone:  ietf-86
>      Component:  network            |           Resolution:
>       Keywords:  IPv6 eduroam       |  My Current Location:  Caribean 2
> My MAC  Address:                    |                My OS:  Mac OS/X
>   14:10:9f:d8:b0:63                 |
> ------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+-
> 
> Comment (by bzeeb+ietf@…):
> 
>  Do you get replies on ff02::2?
> 
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.meeting.ietf.org/ticket/587#comment:4>
> IETF Meeting/NOC <http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org> IETF Meeting - NOC pages

comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by bzeeb+ietf@…

That is correct. Router one is vrrp active and will not reply with :2.

So, is that a plain linux or are you running any coorporate things or iptables or anything?

comment:7 Changed 5 years ago by evyncke@…

It works now so you could close it

But it is a corporate Mac OS/X with IPv6 enabled, bpf disable, and no VPN active ;-)

If this is Cisco WLC (see my email...), then you really need to be sure to have the right underlying IPv4 mcast between AP as replication loose packets in peak time

-éric

> -----Original Message-----
> From: IETF Meeting/NOC [mailto:tickets@meeting.ietf.org]
> Sent: lundi 11 mars 2013 15:30
> To: Eric Vyncke (evyncke); bzeeb+ietf@zabbadoz.net; nkukich@verilan.com
> Subject: Re: [IETF Meeting/NOC] #587: No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID
> 
> #587: No IPv6 RA on eduroam SSID
> ------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+-
>       Reporter:  evyncke@…          |                Owner:  bzeeb+ietf@…
>           Type:  request            |               Status:  assigned
>       Priority:  minor              |            Milestone:  ietf-86
>      Component:  network            |           Resolution:
>       Keywords:  IPv6 eduroam       |  My Current Location:  Caribean 2
> My MAC  Address:                    |                My OS:  Mac OS/X
>   14:10:9f:d8:b0:63                 |
> ------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+-
> 
> Comment (by bzeeb+ietf@…):
> 
>  That is correct. Router one is vrrp active and will not reply with :2.
> 
>  So, is that a plain linux or are you running any coorporate things or
> iptables or anything?
> 
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.meeting.ietf.org/ticket/587#comment:6>
> IETF Meeting/NOC <http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org> IETF Meeting - NOC pages

comment:8 Changed 5 years ago by bzeeb+ietf@…

Resolution: wontfix
Status: assignedclosed

comment:9 Changed 5 weeks ago by Rick Alfvin

Milestone: ietf-86ietf-086

Milestone renamed

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.