Opened 2 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

Last modified 5 months ago

#987 closed task (wontfix)

Re: [95all] IETF 95 Network Information – Buenos Aires, Argentina

Reported by: oran@… Owned by: Clemens Schrimpe
Priority: tbd Milestone: ietf-095
Component: hotel Keywords:
Cc: My Current Location:
My MAC Address: My OS:

Description

> On Apr 2, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com> wrote:
> 
> Gentlepeople,
> 
[snip]
> 	As we do at all IETF Headquarters Hotels, we’ve deployed the IETF network to the guest rooms using the existing hotel infrastructure here in the Hilton.
> 
> 	The good news:  Each hotel room has its own AP and wired ethernet (integrated into the wall port, next to your desk). These access points are designed for dense deployments, and so the APs are designed to cover "a small space of *up to* 430 square feet (40 square meters)."
> 
> 	The bad news: 430 square foot is slightly less than 21ft * 21ft (6m x 6m). The distance from the AP to the middle of the bed is ~15ft (4.5m). This means that if you try to use your wireless from the bed you are towards the limit of the design range and may get poor throughput. From the bathroom you are unlikely to get anything. Additionally, these are not particularly high performance APs, and provide a maximum throughput of around 15Mbps even when very close.
> 
> 	If you need higher performance, the wired connection is a 100Mbit ethernet.
> 
The wired ethernet in my room (7th floor) of Hilton still vectors to the hotel captive portal which asks me to pay.

> 

signature.asc

Attachments (1)

signature.asc (195 bytes) - added by oran@… 2 years ago.
Added by email2trac

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change history (10)

Changed 2 years ago by oran@…

Attachment: signature.asc added

Added by email2trac

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by jim@…

Dave,

Ok, looks like the Hotel folks missed your room. We have a workaround we can do, if you're willing to let one of the NOC folk into your room to remove a "plug" from that switch. Otherwise, we'll make a request to the hotel. We'll need your room number.

Thanks

  • Jim

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by oran@…

> On Apr 2, 2016, at 7:11 PM, IETF Meeting/NOC <tickets@meeting.ietf.org> wrote:
> 
> #987: Re: [95all] IETF 95 Network Information – Buenos Aires, Argentina
> ---------------------------+--------------------------------
>      Reporter:  oran@…    |                Owner:  llynch@…
>          Type:  request   |               Status:  new
>      Priority:  tbd       |            Milestone:  ietf-95
>     Component:  incoming  |           Resolution:
>      Keywords:            |  My Current Location:
> My MAC  Address:           |                My OS:
> ---------------------------+--------------------------------
> 
> Comment (by jim@…):
> 
> Dave,
>    Ok, looks like the Hotel folks missed your room. We have a workaround
> we can do, if you're willing to let one of the NOC folk into your room to
> remove a "plug" from that switch. Otherwise, we'll make a request to the
> hotel. We'll need your room number.
> 
Room 703.
I’ll be here until 20:00. Can you make it by then?

>    Thanks
> 
>    - Jim
> 
> --
> Ticket URL: <https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/ticket/987#comment:1>
> IETF Meeting/NOC <https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org>
> IETF Meeting - NOC pages

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by oran@…

Joe Clarke came by - all fixed by moving to a different port on the switch.
Thanks!

> On Apr 2, 2016, at 7:11 PM, IETF Meeting/NOC <tickets@meeting.ietf.org> wrote:
> 
> #987: Re: [95all] IETF 95 Network Information – Buenos Aires, Argentina
> ---------------------------+--------------------------------
>      Reporter:  oran@…    |                Owner:  llynch@…
>          Type:  request   |               Status:  new
>      Priority:  tbd       |            Milestone:  ietf-95
>     Component:  incoming  |           Resolution:
>      Keywords:            |  My Current Location:
> My MAC  Address:           |                My OS:
> ---------------------------+--------------------------------
> 
> Comment (by jim@…):
> 
> Dave,
>    Ok, looks like the Hotel folks missed your room. We have a workaround
> we can do, if you're willing to let one of the NOC folk into your room to
> remove a "plug" from that switch. Otherwise, we'll make a request to the
> hotel. We'll need your room number.
> 
>    Thanks
> 
>    - Jim
> 
> --
> Ticket URL: <https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/ticket/987#comment:1>
> IETF Meeting/NOC <https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org>
> IETF Meeting - NOC pages

comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by jim@…

Owner: changed from llynch@… to jclarke@…
Status: newassigned

comment:6 Changed 2 years ago by jclarke@…

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Glad it's working for you, Dave. Let us know if we can be of more service. I'm closing this ticket for now.

comment:7 Changed 2 years ago by llynch@…

Component: incominghotel
Resolution: fixed
Status: closedreopened
Type: requesttask

re-opening. Moving owners for NOC trouble shooting (rooms config)

comment:8 Changed 2 years ago by llynch@…

Owner: changed from jclarke@… to Clemens Schrimpe
Status: reopenedassigned

comment:9 Changed 2 years ago by Clemens Schrimpe

Resolution: wontfix
Status: assignedclosed

No further reaction from GuestTek?.

comment:10 Changed 5 months ago by Rick Alfvin

Milestone: ietf-95ietf-095

Milestone renamed

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.